I've been doing a lot of thinking recently. Something I have a lot of time to do now that Tagg started his job. So, I'm sorry if this post seems a bit random and long. One reason I was nervous about moving to Dallas is that none of the people here would know about Zach or understand what Tagg and I have been through the past few months. I didn't want them to think we didn't have a son but I didn't know if I would be able to tell everyone. I didn't look forward to the question of "Do you have any kids?" As it turned out, I was able to tell everyone in Relief Society about Zach the 1st week we were at church. It has been really nice because people have been willing to ask questions about Zach and I've been able to talk about him a lot more then I thought I would. As I've said before, talking about Zach is very therapeutic for me and the worst thing for Tagg and I is when people don't say anything and act like nothing ever happened. Yesterday however, there was a lady at church that was gone my 1st week. Let's call her Sarah because I honestly have no idea what her name is. Sarah's daughter had just had a baby boy two weeks ago and Sarah was out of town visiting her new grand baby. Sarah was so excited about the new arrival. She was showing pictures to everyone. In Relief Society Sarah made an announcement about the new baby and was talking all about the birth and delivery. I couldn't help but feel sorry for myself and think, "If only she knew!" It isn't that I don't want her to be excited about that new healthy baby. I wouldn't want anything else for her and her daughter, but I thought maybe if she knew she wouldn't talk about it as much. (I know that is pretty selfish of me, but I'm still a little sensitive) Well, after church, Sarah and another lady came up to talk to me. The other lady asked about Zach and how and when it happened. I started telling her that it was on Mother's Day and Sarah got big tears in her eyes. She started crying and said she was sorry but she had to go. I didn't really understand her reaction, but after she left the other lady told me Sarah's son drowned on Mother's Day many years ago. Even after all these years, it brought her to tears in an instant. I felt awful! Here I was wanting her to know my story when she has a story of her own. A story that is just as awful and sad as mine, if not worse. Through this whole experience I have learned to try and not judge others. Many people don't know what I have been through and I have no clue what they have or will go through. I can't compare my trials to theirs because we are all given the trials that Heavenly Father has chosen for us. However, sometimes I still find myself thinking, "If only they knew what I have been through the past few months, they'd be nicer, or more compassionate, etc." All I really want is for people to know my story. But now I realize, isn't that what everyone wants out of life? We all have our own stories! Doesn't everyone want their story to be known? Whether it is by your kids, grandkids, friends, or neighbors, you want your story known and remembered. I mean, how awful would it be if no one remembered you when you died? To go even farther though, not only do we want our stories known, but I hope anyway that my story can inspire and help others. I want to live a life that is meaningful not only to me, but to others that come after me.
This brings me to my next point. In my patriarchal blessing I am told I will live a long, happy, and NORMAL life. Before May 10th, I thought normal meant easy. I've come to learn that normal is anything but easy. Loosing a baby didn't seem normal to me. I was talking to my mom and she said normal means you will have trials. How true that is. No one will get through this life without their own Gethsemane or ultimate trial. If you did, I'm sure you'd feel unworthy in the presence of our Heavenly Father, Savior, and all the other amazing people that will be in the Celestial Kingdom that had their own trials to overcome. We have to be proven before we can enter into the presence of the Lord so I should have known that normal would mean I'd be asked to do hard things. However, I was told that I'd have a normal AND happy life. So, if normal means hard things are going to happen, can I still be happy? There was a time after I lost Zach that I wondered if I would ever be truly happy again. While I still miss him and I still feel like a part of my heart is with him in Heaven, I have felt true happiness. Since I had Zach I've been really anxious for the month of July to be over. I wanted my due date to pass, I wanted to get moved in, and I wanted all my friends that were due around the same time I was to have their babies. Basically, I wanted to get it all over with. Skip the month of July and go straight to August. Surprisingly though, I have really enjoyed July. I'm trying to find joy in the journey that Heavenly Father has asked me to go through and that I signed up for. Was it hard when my dear friend texted me a picture of her new baby boy at the same time I was going to visit my baby at the cemetery? Yes. Was it hard leaving my apartment that I thought I would bring my baby home to? Yes. Was it hard when my due date came and I didn't have Zach with me? Yes. Have I had to do a million other hard things? Yes, but so have you. Through all of this I've learned that not only can I do hard things, but I can try and find happiness as well. It isn't easy, and I still feel sad at times, but I am really trying to work at it.
For those of you that actually made it though this whole post, thank you! I don't know how many of you actually read everything I put on here but it has been very healing for me to get my thoughts "written" down. I've really loved all the comments from friends and strangers as well. Thank you for your love and support and please keep praying! (Especially that I will get a job soon.) For now I will leave you with one of my favorite pictures of my angel baby.
22 comments:
Katie, you are absolutely amazing! You and Tagg are such a great example to me. I bet Zach is up in Heaven telling everyone, "You see that couple that never gives up and never loses faith? The ones that are working hard to make it back here? That's my mom and dad!" I bet he is so proud of you two. Thanks for everything Katie and good luck in Texas!
I don't think I can ever tell you too much how appreciative I am for the strength that you share in your posts. It is funny thinking that everyone has a story and some people's we will never hear the whole story to know what makes them who they are. Still thinking of your often. Wish I would have gotten to know you better when we actually lived together, too. :)
I tried SO hard not to comment lately because sometimes I feel like I comment too much on your blog and I don't want to overwhelm you or bother you in any way but after reading this post I just had to comment. I would never dare compare my trials with yours but I know how it feels to be heartbroken and feel as if everyone else gets the desires of their heart and you don't. It's so hard to keep an eternal perspective. You do a much better job than I ever was able to. I can only imagine how difficult that Sunday was for you. I truly think of you and Zach EVERY day! Even though I never got to see your sweet little boy, I miss him. I really do. I wish we lived closer to you guys. We have been and we will continue to pray for you guys.
First, congrats on your 2 year anniversary. Love the picture of you guys on your wedding day, you are so beautiful. It's amazing how fast it all goes. Second, I read your blog posts, even if they are long, so keep writting, it gave me chills. I feel like you are so mature in all ways especially spiritually. I'm so much older than you and yet you are so much wiser!!! Good luck on the job hunt, we miss ya!
We love you guys! We continue to pray for you! I love your thoughts, it is true that I suppose you tend to judge and ask yourself "how would they act if they knew?" but at the same time you ask yourself that you could be doing the same thing. Been there. Thank goodness for the offering of a broken heart and contrite spirit which can help us see through God's eyes.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I really enjoyed reading it and how true it all is, but also so hard to realize. You are amazing and you have definitely inspired me in many ways. Thanks for being a great friend and my prayers are with you to find a job! Miss you...
Again, loved reading every word. Andy in response to what you said about if anyone actually reads what you write... I do! Every word, all the time. You are amazing and have so much strength and perspective to offer others so I love when you write. I miss you so much and think about you all the time. You are so strong and I really am lucky to have you as a best friend. Thanks for always being such a good example Mag :)
Katie,
Every time I read something new you have written I am more and more amazed at your insight, your spiritual maturity, and your faith. I thought it was the parent that was supposed to teach and inspire the child. Now I have learned that it is the other way around. I have learned amazing lessons as I have watched you and Tagg go through these past couple of months. What an inspiration you both are to me. I love you...Mom
Thanks for all your wonderful thoughts babe. I love you so much. Thanks for making life so easy to live and making it so nice to come home to you each day. I really wouldn't have anything if I didn't have you! Well... our family and friends are pretty great too. But you're my number one!
Katie! Of course I read every word! I love seeing a new update from you. And I'm so glad you are growing so much from this-- it's astonishing how far you've come. I don't know if I'd have the strength you and Tagg have had to be where you are so soon. What a great support system you two are surrounded by!
Katie, I love to read your posts. I love to hear about Zach and your feelings. I miss you and our talks on the way to work. I really hope you get a teaching job out there. Keep me posted.
Katie,
Thank You for sharing your personal journey... I have felt the same way wishing people only knew what we have been thru... and I agree with you we all want our stories to he heard. I have no doubt you are leaving your mark for good on more than you realize! You are amazingly strong and I am so grateful for your example. I look back and think.. I hope I had the just a little of the amount of faith that you have shown. I have no doubt that normal... means tried and tested.. and you are remakable at trusting in the Lord. I hope Texas is good for you and you can find a job you love. As always thanks for sharing! I found talking about Blaze and blogging helped me thru days when I thought I couldn't carry on one more minute and I am so grateful for all you share! You inspire me to be better!
Katie-
I left a comment a few months ago, but am a complete stranger. I linked up to your blog through your old roommate Laura Cates. I read what you have written and feel like it is EXACTLY the feelings I have had. We lost our boy last October at 37 weeks. I have actually posted some of the same thoughts on my blog. It is very thearaputic to put it in words and have a place to put it. You are in my thoughts and prayers. How thankful I am for the knowledge I have of the gospel and peace that it brings in the storm. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything.
Jaymie Maines
Jaymieolsen@yahoo.com
We love you Katie, I love to hear (read)your thoughts, thank you for sharing. I hope all goes well with the hunt. Keep us posted!
Goodness Katie...you are amazing! I look forward to reading your blog posts because of all your insights. You should be a motivational speaker because you definitely motivate me to be a better person by your words and example. I hope things are going well in Texas and that you get a job soon. I'm so glad I got to know you while you were here!
Deep and wonderful thoughts, Katie. I hope I am becoming less quick to judge as a result of Zach's teachings. A child's pain is also a Dad's pain. I love you, Tagg, and Zach. As you say, it's lonely without him in our family, but it's also cause to rejoice.
Katie, you are amazing!! I don't think we will EVER understand out patriachal blessings until we are on the other side and can see, oh thats what that meant! Mine talks alot about how my life will be filled with struggles and heartache but I will make it through! It isn't the most comforting blessing for me to turn to and read but if anything it says I will make it through and my heart strings will be pulled but only for relitively short duration! I believe to us short is a lot shorter then Gods short! But I am hoping I can do what I gotta do! And I totally understand about wanting people to know "our story" Everyone has a story that they want to be heard! I love you and your story is one that is to be shared, especially if its theraputic for you!! I know you can do this and Zach will forever be a piece of your heart! ALWAYS!
Love you to pieces Katie!
Hi Katie,
Ok so I know you don't know me very well, but I was in your ward in Provo. You have been so inspirational to me, I wish there was a way to say I'm sorry without sounding like I don't or couldn't understand... I know, I can't comprehend what you have been through, but your strength and perseverance has inspired me.
So, as you are looking for a job I lived in Plano last year, and had the HARDEST time finding a job, and I finally found one through my sister in law. there is a place in Richardson off off the 75 exit Campbell Rd.it is Berrett Pest Control... Anyway they are a great company to work for, it is pretty much a receptionist job the number is 214-242-4800 go ahead and tell them that I told you to call! I hope they have some good news!!! Good luck!!
Thank you for your posts and for sharing your thoughts. Your so honest and human. I just love it. You admit you have your moments, but at the same time, you are so strong! And I love the photos of your baby boy you post. I smile everytime I see his pictures knowing he is in heaven watching over you and Tagg.
Bless your sweet heart. Continue pressing forward. I just became good friends with a girl that lost two of her babies. One at 11 days and one at 9 months. She showed me this blog called agoodgrief.com and it is a wonderful outlet for... grief. What a beautiful picture of Zach. We will continue to keep your family in our prayers.
Katie,
you are such an amazing person. i love and miss you!
Hello, You don't know me, but I came across your blog on accident..What and answer to my prayers, thank you so much for sharing. Your little one is so precious, what a lucky little boy to have such a special mom to raise him someday.
Post a Comment