Sunday, July 4, 2010

Zach's Due Date

I have been eagerly anticipating the passing of this day. Back in October when we found out we were expecting I thought this day was going to be one of the best of my life. I imagined dressing our little baby in 4th of July attire even if it came later than the 4th. Every Sunday I added another week to my pregnancy and kept counting on. I got so excited when I hit the double digits, then when I got into the 20's and we found out we were having a boy. We were really excited. Actually truth be told I was a little upset as I am sure many of you remember. Although now, I can't imagine any other little spirit in our family besides Zach. Then into the 30's. I felt like I was almost there and I was getting so close I was counting down the weeks now instead of counting up. Then it was Mother's Day. Only 8 weeks left! Little did I know that was as far as I would get in my pregnancy with Zach. I now wish I hadn't counted the weeks so quickly. I wish I had enjoyed the time he was in me a little bit more. I am now 8 weeks away from when I had Zach. I can't believe it has been 8 weeks. We miss him so much but are hopeful in the future. I have a new song I put on my blog for you to listen to if you would like. My cousin gave it to me and it is very fitting.

Dear One, we've been waiting for you.
We're thrilled, beside ourselves, that you've arrived.
White coats came in, heads held low, and talked for a bit, shuffled outside.
We closed the curtains and held each other, and cried.
We said hello at the same time that we said goodbye.

The smallest and wingless, leaving as soon as you arrived.
Sadness is just loved wasted, with no little heart to place inside.
We closed the curtains and held each other, and cried.
We said hello at the same time that we said goodbye.

Dear Zach,
Today is the day you were supposed to be joining our family. I miss you so much. Life is very different than I thought it was going to be right now. I thought I would be seeing you for the first time, holding you in my arms and enjoying the privilege of being a mom, a blessing I have waited for my whole life. I can't believe it has been 8 weeks since your Dad and I found out you had been taken from this world. I loved every minute I had of holding you and singing to you and kissing you. I can't wait for the time when I will be able to do that again. Your dad and I are starting to feel a lot better about things. We still have hard days and moments, but we find joy in knowing that Heavenly Father needs you more than we do right now. When I think about seeing you again and raising you one day I get so excited! I know that Heavenly Father used me as a vessel to bring your body into this world so you can receive eternal life. How grateful I am for that privilege. I still think about you almost all the time. I wonder what it would be like to have you still here with us. I wonder if you would've been a happy baby. I wonder if you would've been a good eater and if you would've spit up all the time like I did. I wonder what color your eyes would be, what your first word would be and what your favorite color would be. I wonder if you would've been a Momma's boy or a Daddy's boy. I wonder if you would've liked playing with cars and tractors like your Dad did. One thing I am so glad I don't have to wonder about though is if you will make it to the Celestial Kingdom. I don't have to wonder if you're okay or if you're safe. For that I am thankful. Your Dad and I just moved to Dallas and while the room we thought would be yours seems a little empty, we are excited for what lies ahead. I hope you know how much we love you and miss you. Thank you for being such a special spirit and for letting me be your mom.

13 comments:

Charlatta said...

Katie! You are truly amazing!! That song I gave is perfect for your precious writings!! I love you so much and have learned sooo much through this test you are going through! I have been much more in tune with the spirit and have had my eyes open to amazing tender mercies all over the place! It is truly a miracle that you carried such a perfect child for our Heavenly Father! I am glad you are doing better and loved your letter to Zach! I'm in awe of you and Tagg!! Thanks for letting me be apart of Zachs life and for letting me watch over his resting spot while you are away! I have grown a very strong love for this little guy and also for my sister Angela!! I'm crying as I am typing how much I love him, and at times have felt his love for me! Along with my Sisters as well!! Thanks! Love you round and round and NEVER STOPS!! ;)

kami said...

you're amazing katie! little zach is lucky to have such a faithful, wonderful mommy!

Amanda Petersen said...

That is a very special letter. I've been thinking a lot about you guys this weekend with Zach's due date and your anniversary. I keep thinking about your wedding day and I am sure that Zach's little spirit was there that day as well as the other special spirits that will come to your family. I'm glad things are going well for you in Dallas, we can't wait to hear how things are going. I hear your apartment is great. I'm glad you guys are in Dallas and I hope you enjoy some time with your family! Love you all!

McKenna said...

Mag, I love you so much. I thought about you a lot on this day and I'm glad that it seemed to go better than you anticipated. You are truly amazing and I know that Zach must be so proud of you and Tagg. Love you both :)

Justin, Amy, and Grace said...

I love reading your blog Katie. You have such a beautiful way of expressing your feelings. You and Tagg have touched our lives through this trial in a way you will never know. Our testimonies have been strengthened and you have inspired us to be a little better and work a little harder so that we too can receive all the blessings of the Celestial Kingdom and meet Zach someday. We look forward to embracing this special spirit who is part of our family and has touched our lives in such a special way.

P.S. Happy Anniversary to you both!

Lynn DeAngelis said...

I've been really good about reading all about Zach and although feeling extremely sad, somehow not crying. THIS made me cry. I'm so glad to see you're having better days... Zach would want you to, I'm sure of it! I don't think it was an accident your anniversary and his due date were so close together. Something so sad followed by something so SO happy. Lots and lots of my love to you and Tagg :-)

Chels's Blog said...

I love the letter you wrote, it is beautiful just like the first letter you wrote to little Zach. I am sure yesterday was rough, I can't even imagine. You truly are inspiring in the way you have dealt with and are dealing with the loss of Zach. He is a very lucky little boy to have you as a mom and also the other way around. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for the great example you are to so many. I am glad you arrived in Dallas safe and I am looking forward to updates on your new adventures there. Love ya!

{larissa} said...

Katie, you really are amazing. Your faith is a testimony to me! Reading your experiences makes me so grateful for the gospel in my life. thank you so much for sharing!

miss you

Anonymous said...

Missing the Z-man. Love you guys!

Queen of Kings said...

Katie,
You are an AMAZING Mother and Woman! I am so impressed each time I read your blog at your faith! I often wish I had as much faith as you do during this trying time. Zach is such a special little spirit! We pray for heaven to be close for your little family! Passing the due date is a hard milestone! I hope Dallas is a great start of great things to come for you! As always thank You for sharing your trials and blessings! You are AMAZING!

Vierig Family said...

I love your posts, you write it all so beautifully... I just came acrossed a Mother's Day card Madison had made for you, can you send me your address on my email:
mmvierig@hotmail.com Hope your getting settled in o.k. in your home!!!

Amber said...

I thought about you on this day. I am so grateful for your faith and testimony, it has lifted me up and made me a better person. Have fun in Dallas. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Lindsay said...

I just have to comment. We were in your ward but recently moved out. U r an amazing woman!I love the way u write!your story has touched me. The things u write are very beautiful and I enjoy reading ur blog!I look up to u and ur strength!u will be an amazing mother!!!!!!!!!