Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Miss My Kiddos

Since the start of the school I have REALLY been missing my little 1st graders. Maybe it's because I'm not teaching and maybe it's because I'm with 6th graders all day, but either way, I miss them! (For those of you that don't know, which is probably most of you, I got a TA job at a local elementary school with 6th grade. More on that later.) I miss their innocence, I miss their sweetness, I miss their inquisitiveness, I miss their jokes they make up, I miss how much fun I had with them, I miss the funny things they say (that they have no idea is funny), I miss how much they loved me, and I miss hearing "Mrs. Petersen, you are my favorite teacher ever!" and "Mrs. Petersen, you are my best friend!" I wish so much I could see them and teach them again! Because of all of this, I decided to send an email to all of the parents of my students from last year that I still had emails for. I told them how much I miss their kiddos and that I would love to hear how things are going and how 2nd grade is. I got a few responses back already and let me just say this is why I loved my class so much!

Mrs Petersen,
Thanks for your email and for being my teacher. You were a good teacher. I miss you a lot. I hope you had a fun birthday on august 28. When I was reading your email I was about to cry. Bye. - Taylor (one of my kids)

This is a portion of an email from one of my kids mom's.
When I picked her up the first day she said "mom I wish Mrs Petersen would come visit us, but she can't she is in Texas and her baby is in Heaven. Is Texas closer to heaven? Is it far to drive to Texas? Can we go there?" I told her sometimes people move and it's sad we miss them but we all have to live life and move on. I was just telling my husband how much she must really admire you as a teacher and individual. She would write a letter to you everyday and we would find it laying around. The spelling was not all there but we knew what she was talking about. She was so heart broken about your baby and we know it's because she really love you. I know I didn't come around much to get to know you better but I've always loved your smile everytime I came by for Daphne. (I shed a few tear after reading this)


This one is from another mom:(I changed the name of the student in this one)
It is great hearing from you! Johnny loved you as a teacher. I think he would have traded me in if I would have agreed to it. He had a lot of fun in your class and I appreciate the patience you had with him. I could tell that you gave them a comfortable zone to learn in and it meant a lot to me and it really made learning fun for him. One of the first things he mentioned is that his new teacher does not laugh (so you must have laughed, which is essential by Johnny's standards). It was so funny because he told us that his new teacher has only smiled twice. Once was when we first went to meet her and she greeted him at the door and the other one was at a girl in his class. He told us all the jokes that he has tried to tell her and said that she did not even crack a smile. (I laughed though because I have never heard his thought processes out loud like that).
Johnny had much sympathy for you. He told us about it and expressed that you had a baby boy. He told us that you named your baby boy too. He told us that you and his grandma both lost your baby boys but that you could both go and visit them.


This is from the best room mom ever! (Hope it is okay that I put this on here Mikki!)
I have been thinking about you ALL WEEK, wishing I could walk into Madisons class and see you there. Her first day of school was good, I'll post on the blog about it tonight so you can check it out. But man do we miss you terribly!!!
Glad to hear you got a job, and yes your way overqualitified to be doing grunt work, you shine as a teacher, and that's where they should put you. Hopefully there will be an opening somewhere that you can move into. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, those kids are missing out!

Maybe its the self confidence boost, but I just love my little babies and I miss them way more than I thought I would. (and I thought I was going to miss them a lot!) I can't believe they are in 2nd grade now! That seems so old. I am so grateful that I had such a great class last year. Going through all we went through with Zach at the end of the year was so hard, but they made it a little easier. I think it is interesting that a few of them commented on Zach. They had been with me through the whole pregnancy. They were around Zach more than almost anyone else. They would talk about what I should name him (Luke Skywalker was the most wanted name). They would always tell me "I hope you have fun with your baby when he is born." One little boy wrote in his journal about how he would be best friends with my baby and play with him all the time when he was born. They would rub my belly and tell me I was getting bigger because they couldn't wrap their arms around me all the way anymore. My room mom went in and told my kids Monday morning before I had Zach what was happening and she said they were all very sad. When I came back to visit, Mikki, my room mom, had a balloon activity all ready to send notes to Heaven so Zach could read them. (I think I blogged about that already) By the time they wrote their notes and we went outside to let our balloons go, half of the class was crying. In their own little way, they understood what happened to Zach and they were sad about it too. They felt they had lost something. It was a very hard thing for all of them and it really made an impression. I think all of the experiences they had with Zach will not be forgotten anytime soon. For that I am grateful because one of my biggest fears is Zach being forgotten. People forgetting he lived and he is our son. People forgetting all we have been through and how much Zach means to us. I guess as long as Tagg and I remember, nothing else really matters.

I guess that is how the Savior feels. He wants to be known. He wants his sacrifice to be remembered and to be used. He wants us to remember how much He loves us and how much our Father in Heaven loves us and is wanting us to be back with Him. If we could all just remember a little bit more and try a little harder to live our lives righteously. I'm sure that would be a great way to show Him we remember Him. I love my Father in Heaven, I love my Savior, I love Zach and I can't wait to see all of them again one day!


(Notes to Heaven)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, I love you and I'm so sorry for all the losses you are experiencing this year! Your kids will always be your kids, and I'm sure they will always remember the way you touched their lives. You will have many more opportunities to touch others' lives, even if they are 6th graders! :) Love you and can't wait to see you tomorrow!
-Jessica

Lynette Williams(Mom) said...

Katie, How I loved reading the comments from your cute little 1st graders. I am so glad I had the opportunity to go to your school and see you "in action" with them and to realize what a remarkable and gifted teacher you really are. I know why they loved you so much - who wouldn't? It is also to know that YOU are not forgotten. Those of us who went through this will NEVER forget Zach. On the contrary - he will always be there - reminding all of us of where we want to be someday. He is a constant reminder to us all to live our lives so that we can experience that beautiful reunion someday. You have experienced so much sadness, heartache, and loss this past year, but you have remarkable strength (even though you don't always recognize it) and a testimony that will sustain you through these times of trial. Zach is lucky to have such a beautiful, noble mommy.

brandon said...

Tagg and KT,
I am glad that things are going pretty good in Texas. I just wanted to let you know that I made this playlist for you.

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/20591362571

I hope that is ok. I absolutely LOVE music and for me it touches the soul more than any words ever do. I was just thinking about you guys and made it for you with some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it. God Bless the both of you. You are great examples to me and a great source of strength. I went to the temple tonight and put your name in while I was there.
Take Care- Brandon

e. said...

Your students are so darling. I don't remember reading about the notes to Zach but I'm now typing this with tears running down my face. That's probably on of my favorite ages because they get what's going on around them but they are still so sweet.

Cady, anyone who's ever had the pleasure of crossing paths with you could never forget about Zach. You're such a wonderful mother.

Chels's Blog said...

Oh do we ever miss you! I so wish that you were still here teaching with us. I miss walking into your room and you not being there. The only thing that makes it better is that Angie is in there. I am sure you miss the little ones and I am glad to report that they seem to be doing good in second grade. I am so sorry about your job in 6th grade. I bet it is a huge change going from teacher to aide and 1st to 6th. I just can't believe how much change you have had in the last 5-6 months. I don't do well with change at all and you have been a great example to me of having a positive attitude despite it all. Thanks so much for being such a great friend! I miss you tons....I am so sorry I am not great at keeping in touch and I will try to do better! Keep me posted on everything. Love you girly....

Chels's Blog said...

I meant I miss walking into your room and you being there. Sorry about the typo!

Lynn DeAngelis said...

Oh my gosh, Katie, that picture is so precious! What a great group of kiddies you had. I'm so glad Zach has touched the lives of so many people.

Vierig Family said...

Your kiddos miss you too! I still remember my favorite teacher and I know they'll always remember you as theirs. You made too big of an impact on them to be forgotten and Zach was a part of that too.

Amber said...

I can't imagine how much you loved those "babies"! It sounds like you have made quite the impact on them for the rest of their lives. And I agree, you are WAY overqualified to be a TA. Who do I need to write a letter to to change that?

Tyler & Michelle said...

What a sweet idea with the balloons. Those are some cute kids!

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

Oh Katie Dear I just love reading your posts and how you can always put things into perpective for me. Thank you for that. I loved reading your cute emails. You are a very lucky teacher to have kiddos and parents like that. I hope all is well in Texas and those 6th graders are treating you well. It is a HUGE jump from 1st to 6th...i remember student teaching and how much I loved both grades. Miss you and love you!