Friday, October 1, 2010

Conference Weekend

I am so excited for Conference weekend! This week has been just awful. Mostly yesterday and today I guess. I'm just so sick of 6th graders. I hate their disrespect and how mean they are to each other and me. It was all I could do to make it through the day today. I really need some spiritual nourishment in my life right now.
Last night I was going through a few of the Conference talks from April to help Tagg with his seminary lesson. I have to be honest and say that I loved April conference, but I did not (until last night) ever go back and read any of the talks. I remember that so many talks were about parenting and families, but I didn't realize how much I was being prepared for what was about to happen in my life. I remember listening to Elder Donald L. Hallstrom's talk entitled "Turn to the Lord" that was given at the Sunday morning session. I remember listening to the 3 stories he told about people loosing babies/children and how differently the families handled the challenges that faced them. I remember getting more nervous with each story he told about loosing a baby or the mom during child birth. I remember my family saying, these stories happened a long time ago. Things like that don't happen as often these days. I didn't realize that was a warning to me about what would come in only a few short weeks. He talked about how one family when they lost their baby got angry. Very angry and wanted revenge. 4 generations ended up falling away from the church. He talked about his grandparents who lost their daughter when she was giving birth to twins. The twins died as well. He talked about how his grandparents turned their grief to the Lord and focused on living righteously so they could be together again one day. One quote I absolutely loved from his talk is, "No matter the size of the issue, how we respond can reset the course of our life." How true that is. I definitely think the course of my life has been reset through my experience with Zach.
Elder Scott gave an amazing talk about the Savior and the Atonement titled "He Lives! All Glory to His Name!" This talk is all about how we need to do all we can do to strengthen our testimony and understanding of the atonement. I don't have time right now but I will highlight parts from his talk that especially touched me later.
And then there was President Monson's talk about death and Resurrection. His talk was titled "He Is Risen!" I will spend more time on this talk later as well, but I want to highlight just a few points right now. Speaking of death he says, "It inevitably represents a painful loss of association and, particularly in the young, a crushing blow to dreams unrealized, ambitions unfulfilled, and hopes vanquished." I've said these exact words before to describe my feelings about loosing Zach. Thank goodness for Revelations 21:4. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there by any more pain:for the former things are passed away."
I know that Heavenly Father has wiped my tears many times. I know that last April I was being prepared for things that were going to happen in the near future. I had no idea, but I was. I know that General Conference is a time for us to receive the personal revelation that we each need for our own lives. I am excited about what the Lord wants me to hear from his Prophet and Apostles over the next few days. I hope it's good things!

7 comments:

Taggart Petersen said...

Thanks for sharing those thoughts babe! And thanks for always helping me with Seminary. I know it can get boring while I just sit and prepare each night. But I really appreciate your support! Thanks for always helping me have an eternal perspective!

Laura Cates said...

I, too, am hoping to feel uplifted by conference this weekend. I have to admit though, April's conference was really hard for me to sit through. We had just lost Heidi about 2 months earlier, and there were so many talks about raising children. I hope now that things are looking up for us, it can give me the strength I need to make it through to the end of the year. Hope you find some peace through our apostles and prophets words!

Lynn DeAngelis said...

I am willing to bet you will find some guidance this time around. I hope that you do! I still think about you and Tagg often, so thank you for continuing to share your life with the blogging world :-)

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

Katie, I just look forward to reading your blog somedays! you are so insightful and I love it! Sorry about those nasty sixth graders! I hope that you show them whose boss soon! Miss you so much!

Mandy Summers said...

Thanks for always sharing your testimony on your blog. It's always beautiful and uplifting. And I'm hoping to give you some tips on 6th graders because for some reason, I absolutely love them! Of course, the Texan ones may be tougher than the Utah ones, but I had a longterm sub job with 6th graders and they act all tough, but really they are just as much in need of positive praise and love as any 1st grader. Become friends with them, show them you care, and respect them while demanding respect from them (sometimes being funny and creative in your discipline), and you will have them eating out of your hand!

Vierig Family said...

Love your blog posts. Seriously, you are such an amazing person! I remember those talks as well, wish it wasn't you that had to go through it all, it says so much about who you are. I need a good uplifting as well! By the way, I say Mrs. Curtis and Mrs. Crowton last week in the work room and we all talked about how much we missed you! You haven't been forgotten about by any means. Hope those 6th graders start shaping up for you:)

Charlatta said...

I love your testimony and thoughts here! I was in tears!! I didn't get to watch much of conference because I was so sick and they were medicating me so I was sleeping alot! :) But I love there words!
You are my favorite dear, I love you