Thursday, May 10, 2012

Zach's 2nd Birthday

Dear Zach,
 It's hard to believe that 2 years ago right now I was holding you in my arms.  Your limp body was so tiny and fragile.  I have relived those precious days with you over and over again today.   I miss you so much, but I'm glad that you are safe with our Father in Heaven. Sometimes the pain from losing you is still so fresh, but I'm trying to focus on the positive and think of how great our reunion will be one day.  For now, know that we still talk about you and think about you often.  Today, dad and I celebrated your day by going to the temple and doing sealings.  We even sealed a few sons to their parents from 1601.  Talk about a long time waiting for that amazing blessing.  I'm so grateful you are sealed to us for eternity! 
I know that Beckett remembers you and knows who you are.  This quote by President Monson helps me know what went on before Beckett came to Earth. "You were still in your heavenly home. There you were among those who loved you and were concerned for your eternal well-being. Eventually, earth life became essential to your progress. Farewells were no doubt spoken, and expressions of confidence given."  Often when I'm holding Beckett on the couch, he will reach up to the picture of you on the wall and get really excited.  Every time he does that, I tell him that you are his big brother and that you love him so much and are waiting for him to make it back to Heaven.
We love you more than you can imagine.  Thanks for continuing to be our example and our teacher.  
Love,
Mom

Happy 2nd birthday my angel!
My brother sent me this song shortly after Zach died.  I listened to it for a while, but then somehow forgot about it.  I re-discovered the amazing song not too long ago and I knew I wanted to put some pictures together to go with it.  It is such a powerful song and I know that Zach has been with us all along and will continue to be with us always.

The Memory Lives On- Paul Cardall

Hearts are turning toward God
As we stand before him humble
In our hearts there's sorrow
As we wonder why our innocent have gone

Mothers are raising their empty arms
As if they see their children running
As if they hear their children calling
Yet their voices fade away and they are gone

Where have they gone?
As their memory moves on
Why have they gone?
As they hope it's not too long
Till one day they might see them
And with open arms they'll greet them
As the innocence of childhood lives on

Children are turning toward God
As they long to see their father
Long to hold their mother
In a place of pure divinity they wait on
In a world of pure serenity they wait on
Oh they wait on
With a memory that's strong
They carry on
And they hope it's not too long
And one day they will see them
And with open arms they'll greet them

And they'll know that they were with them all along
And they'll know that they were with them all along

All along

10 comments:

Megan said...

I started bawling like a baby as soon as I started reading your post. I have to try to dry my eyes super fast before Chris gets back from the bathroom. It was a beautiful letter to your baby. Your family is beautiful as well and I still think about you guys and pray for you all the time. You are such an amazing example to me. :)

Lynn DeAngelis said...

Katie, that was beautiful. And of course, again, my morning coffee and Facebook browsing has turned into morning coffee and crying! I loved that little slideshow with the song. I think you are so lucky to have so many pictures of that day, as sad as it was. My two favorite pictures have always been the one Beckett is reaching for and the one of Tagg comforting you behind the tree at Zach's memorial. The first one, I always try to look past the sadness and see two amazing parents who love their first son. And the tree one, I love because it shows just how much you and Tagg love each other. Not everyone can go through something like that and come out stronger than before, but if anyone could have done it, it was most certainly you and Tagg. If God brings you to it, he will get you through it, and that couldn't be more true for the two of you. I will never forget about Zach and think about him often. And I have to wonder if he and Baby Coleman aren't getting some last minute play times in before his big arrival. You and Tagg continue to amaze me, and Beckett is lucky to have such great parents. Don't even get me started on how sweet that picture of him is reaching for his brother... Just melts my heart. Thanks for always sharing your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Katie, this is amazing and your video is so touching. We all thought of you guys all day yesterday and we're so glad we got to spend the time with you right before this special day. Thanks, as always, for sharing your strength! LOVE YOU!
Jessica

Amy said...

Happy 2nd Bday, Zach! I love that you work so hard to keep his memory alive. I hope you feel peace. I'm sure he is smiling down on you glad that you still celebrated the day of his birth.

Kelsie Davis said...

I'm not even sure what words to use...Your video made me bawl. I want you to know that I love you. I love you and your little family. I think about Zach more than you know and look to you both as incredible, faithful parents. I remember singing (or mostly bawling as we sang) "Families Can Be Together Forever" at Zach's funeral - and I never felt such a strong witness that it is true. Thank you for your examples and for sharing Zach's life and memory with us.

Charlotte said...

Katie, that was BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for giving me my morning devotional today. I hadn't seen many of these pictures. What a special sacred experience you have captured in this video. This really touched me and filled my heart with renewed gratitude to my Heavenly Father for eternal families. Zach was a blessing in all of our lives and served his short mission here on earth by bringing us all a bit of heaven to hang on to. Thank you for sharing this. I love you. Aunt Charlotte

Elise said...

I cannot believe it's been 2 years. You are such an amazing mother and Zach is so lucky to have you and Tagg as parents, with cute little Beckett as his brother. Thank you for letting us into one of the most sacred parts of your life by sharing your feelings and thoughts as the second year comes and goes. I love you all.

Laura Cates said...

You guys do such a great job at remembering Zach. I loved your video and all your pictures. There is so much emotion in them. Crazy how we lived through something like that! How would you do it without knowledge of the gospel? I hope your day celebrating Zach's short time here went okay for you guys. It looks like Beckett has a great connection with his older brother!

The Ringer Family said...

I was thinking of you guys so much this past weekend. We love you. We miss you

Rose Jorgensen said...

Love it, and I love you! Happy belated birthday to your joy Zach!