Saturday we went to the Fiery Furnace. It was a day full of adventure but it was still fun. If any of you have been there you know it is pretty intense. You have to watch a movie and get a special permit to hike there because there are no trails and it is more for the "expert climber." As you may be thinking, Tagg and I are not expert climbers. It can be a lot of fun though. Last year when we went our group got separated and we wandered around lost for a while. We were told, "It just opens up over there." Yeah, that definitely didn't happen. This year we were promised we would all stay together. This year we did all stay together but I saw my life flash before my eyes. Not really, but in all seriousness, I was scared out of my mind. We had to climb down into this crevice that was about a foot and a half wide. We were about 30 feet down in between two huge boulders. Talk about claustrophobia. After getting down we walked a few feet and then had to get back up to "find the way out." I had to press my back against one of the boulders and put my feet against the other and try to climb and shimmy my way up to where there was a ledge to stand on. As soon as I got to the top we were told there actually wasn't a way out. So, I had to go back down into the scary crevice and get back up on the other side. Probably doesn't seem so scary just reading this, but trust me, it was! Any of you that know me well know that I am not very good at hiding my emotions. I was trying to do all this climbing while I was scared out of my mind and crying. That made it a lot harder. Point of the story though...I made it out alive! Tagg and I have decided that the Fiery Furnace is not for us. I don't think we will ever be going back. At least not without a guide.
This was a the beginning of the day, while we were still loving life!
This is the crevice of near death! It may not look to scary, but trust me, it was! This is a view of getting down into the crevice. The part I was describing is on the other side of the picture that you can't see. I took this picture before I had to shimmy my way up the other side of the crevice.
By the end of the day we were all tuckered out! It was a fun and eventful weekend.
4 comments:
Katie,
Reading your account of this made me literally sick to my stomach. I get scared out of my wits by things like this, too and I am just so grateful you were both safe. I love you...Mom
Seriously don't down play the scariness of this event. You are far braver than me....I can guarantee you I would NOT have done it. And crying would have been involved also. Good for you guys! You are so adventurous! I'm glad you had fun....hey I heard you're moving to New York! Congrats! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you guys. I know how stressful it can be. We seriously want to help out any way we can. Love you guys!
I'm glad you made it out alive. That's when you need lots of ropes and lots of harnesses... I totally would have stayed at the top and cried. I'm glad you did not, however. That would have been a bad choice.
You two do such fun things! Way to live it up! And congrats on graduation -what a GREAT accomplishment (trust me, I know!!!) I'm so excited for you guys to be heading to NYC this summer. You'll have a blast! Can't wait to see all the fun things you'll be doing! Keep us updated!
Love ya,
Chandi
Post a Comment