Thursday, May 13, 2010

Zachary Tucker Petersen

As most of you know by now, I delivered our baby at 32 weeks on Monday May 10. We don't know what happened, but I went into the hospital because I hadn't felt him move in a day or so. That is when we received the news, "I'm sorry, but there is no heartbeat." Definitely the worst words I have ever heard spoken. At a later date I will post more of a log about what we went through but for today I will just post a few pictures of our sweet little baby and a letter I wrote to him as I was in the hospital waiting to deliver him. As a side note, we decided to name him Zachary because that was supposed to be my name when I was born. My parents were sure I was a boy but then they had to re-think things when my mom gave birth and I turned out to be a girl. Tucker in Tagg's brother's name. Hence the name Zachary Tucker. We call him Zach also, or Z-man for short.

Dear Zachary,
As I sit here in the hospital I feel the inevitable getting closer and closer. I found out yesterday (Mother’s Day) around 7:00 that you would not be making your arrival into this world the way I had hoped and dreamed. I feel like I am in so much pain right now, but I know that the pain I feel now with a stomachache, headache, bleeding and cramps is nothing to what I will experience soon. Through the night I kept dreaming that you were okay and that you were still moving your little legs and arms inside me. Then, I woke up and realized that that dream would not become a reality. Although I am in pain, I am enjoying my last moments with you inside me. I feel so honored to be your Mommy. Although you won’t live to ever call me that or to even see my face, I know you know my voice and you know who I am. I look forward to seeing you after I deliver you even though I know I will have to give you up shortly. I can’t wait to hold you and hug your tiny little body and know that you are going to be mine forever. One day when I get to the other side, you will be the first person I look for. I can imagine calling your name and having you run into my arms. I can feel your little spirit in this room right now as I type this and I know that you love me as much as I love you. Please help give me the strength as I go through the next hours to bring your perfect little body into this world, as I hold you in my arms for the first time and give your hugs and kisses like any other mother would do. Help me as I will bury you and try to go on with my life over the next days, weeks, and months. I was telling your Daddy a few weeks ago how it is really weird that I am never alone anymore. Even when it was just me at home, you were with me. You and I have been connected for the past 32 weeks and I have loved every moment of it. I don’t think I am prepared to go on by myself. I can’t imagine the pain I will feel when we go home without you, when I walk into our apartment and see your clothes and blankets waiting for your grand arrival, when I see an excited mom with her new born baby. In my head I will be trying to imagine what that would be like. I know that because of the Plan of Salvation I will be able to one day raise you, hear your cry and your laugh for the first time, hold you in my arms and stare into your eyes and have you stare back into mine, and hear your sweet little voice say Mommy! Those times seem very distant right now though. It seems so unfair that I have gone from picking out the colors in your nursery to picking out the songs for your funeral. Please know that I love you more than anything in the world. Your Daddy does too. We love you and are so excited to meet you. Thank you for giving me the chance to be your Mom.

I love you!
Mommy








22 comments:

Vierig Family said...

Your letter is beautiful and the pictures, perfection! What a blessed little boy to have you for parents. Your in my thoughts & I pray for your comfort and healing! I made a little tribute to Zachary on my blog, so check it out if you want. Your amazing Katie! I'm so sorry you'll have to wait so long to see him again!

Elise said...

Katie, thank you so much for posting this. I've been thinking of you constantly and praying for you and Tagg. Those pictures are so precious. Your letter is beautiful and it makes me realize how grateful I am to have such an amazing friend like you. You are an incredible mother and Zach is so lucky to have you and Tagg as parents. What a joyful moment that will be when you are all together again. I love you.

Doug and Bethany said...

Katie thank you for your precious post. I am so sorry for you and Tagg and know you guys will be great parents. You are stronger than I will ever be and admire you. Little Zach was perfect and he is lucky to have you for his Mommy. You two are in our thoughts and prayers.

Chels's Blog said...

Well, I made the mistake of reading this at school. Katie, you and your little family have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I heard on Sunday night. The letter you wrote to little Zach is beautiful and he is just precious. I love the pictures you posted and thank you for sharing them. I just want you to know that I think you are one amazing girl and admire you in so many ways. Little Zach is a very lucky boy to have you and Tagg as parents.

e. said...

Your strength is both breathtaking and inspiring. I too know that you will one day see your precious little Zachary again. Thank you for sharing your beautiful letter with us and your pictures. He's just beautiful. Love you, Cady!

kami said...

katie, this letter and the pictures are beautiful beyond words. my heart is breaking for you, but i know you'll get through it because i can already tell how strong you are and what an incredible testimony you have. you are such an example of strength and motherhood to me. i will continue to keep you all in my prayers!

Amy said...

What a tender letter and pictures. My heart goes out to you and Tagg. I don't know if you remember our roommate, Laura, but she just went through the same thing with her baby girl, but at 4 or 5 months along. Anyway, I can't relate, but if you want someone to talk to that knows what you are dealing with, she would be a great person to talk to.

Unknown said...

Words cannot even express how sorry we are for your loss. Zachary will certainly be missed in our family. I think about you both every day and we pray that the Lord will bless you with comfort and strength. We love you both so much and we really wish we could be with you right now during this difficult time. Zachary is a BEAUTIFUL baby! Truly! He really is so lucky to have such wonderful parents. I too have faith that the three of you will be reunited and you will get to raise your sweet little boy! We love you!

McKenna said...

Mag what you wrote was amazing. It was tender and touching and despite the circumstances it was written in was remarkably strong. Chris and I love you both so much, we pray for you all the time. I'm so happy that you and Tagg will still get to raise this perfect little boy. Although it's already been said many times, you two will make great parents, and he truly is lucky to have you. I love you Mag.

Lynn DeAngelis said...

You won't ever be alone with little Z-man as your angel! He will be just as excited to see you as you will be to see him. Thank you for sharing this with all of us, and thank you for being such a strong woman I am honored to know. I am certain this will do nothing but strengthen the already wonderful marriage that you and Tagg have.

Mackenzie said...

Katie and Tagg,
I feel so blessed to have you both and Z-man in my family. I am grateful to have been able to share in this trying experience with you both. I pray daily for the Lord to bless and comfort you. This past week my testimony has been strengthened through your faith and hope. I feel so blessed! What a great reunion it will be in heaven!! Thank you for being the AMAZING people you are! I love you both immensely!

Melissa and Reed said...

Reed and I are in tears. Thank you for sharing you soul and testimony. You have been on our minds constantly. You're in our prayers

Brittany said...

Katie, you are such a great example to me. Thank you for that beautiful letter and for sharing it and the pictures. We are praying for you and love you so much! Zach is such a lucky boy!

The Gardners said...

We are so sorry for your loss. You and Tagg are such wonderful people and we feel so blessed to know you two. Thank you for posting that, it really has touched us and we want you to know that you are in our prayers. Zachary is such a beautiful baby and you two are the best parents anyone can ask for.

Ash and Mark said...

What a beautiful letter. Your faith, strength, and love for little Zachary is truly inspiring. He is absolutely precious. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and those pictures, you are an amazing example and an amazing mother. You and Tagg are in our thoughts and prayers. Love you Katie!!

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

Katie, I am so sorry for you and Tagg. I am so grateful for Heavenly Father's Plan and knowing that You, Tagg and Z-man will be together again. You are an amazing mother and friend. You are such an example to me of strength. I hope you know that. I am praying for you guys and I love you! Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures and your letter. It was so sweet. Zach is such a lucky little man.

Lynette Williams said...

Katie, Only a mother could write such a beautiful letter. I am so grateful that Daddy and I could be there to share this miraculous experience with you and Tagg. We are also grateful "Families Can Be Together Forever". Our Savior's atonement has brought such strength. I know we will all have many ups and downs as we go forward, but we can continue to call upon the power of The Comforter to help us through it.

Kaylie said...

Katie,
Thank you for sharing this personal message to your son. It was so beautiful and full of love. He looks like such a sweet, wonderful boy and is so fortunate to have you both as parents. You and Tagg have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly since you informed us about Zach. I'm so sorry you have to go through this very difficult trial. I'm so grateful I've been able to get to know you so much better in these months we've worked together and grateful to see your strong testimony. You and Tagg are such amazingly strong people and I look up to you both. I know it won't be easy and we will continue to pray that it won't be so hard for you.
Love, Kaylie

Unknown said...

Katie and Tagg, to slightly change the words to an old blues song, "ain't no sunshine when he's gone, only darkness everyday." But, in church today, I was reminded that our bodies can "be filled with light and there shall be no darkness in you." I pray for that to happen, because until it does, there will be a lot less sunshine in your Dad's heart. Thanks for your strength and courage in making such a sad week so inspiring, but I am asking Heavenly Father not to send us any more inspiration of this sort.

Charlatta said...

I second what your dad said!! All of our hearts our heavy as we see you go through what you and Tagg have been asked to go through! I love you soooo much and am so grateful I have the chance to be apart of this beautiful family and have the chance to see our loved ones again! It is not goodbye, just SEE YOU LATER!! Love you to pieces! Prayers all over the place for you!!

Cheryl and Tyler said...

wow..that was a tear jerker. Thank you for sharing such a personal moment. That letter was beautiful and you are such strong amazing parents. I'm so sorry that this had to happen. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Aubreigh Parks said...

I heard about your sad news. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray you will continue to find comfort and strength in the plan of salvation. Because of the good decisions you and Tagg have made, your family truly is forever. What a sweet spirit Zach has... heaven can't be too far away... if you sit still long enough I am sure you will feel his sweet spirit of love. Our prayers are with you.