Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heartbreak in Newtown

My heart is so broken for those that lost children and loved ones yesterday.  I have felt sick to my stomach since I first heard about it.  The little kids that lost their lives were in 1st grade.  This hit close to home.  I taught 1st grade and my students were so sweet and innocent.  I just can't imagine anything worse.  I can't imagine having to lose a child in such a tragic way and so close to Christmas.  What a nightmare these parents will never get to wake up from!
Many people have started talking about changing the gun laws.  I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think changing gun laws will stop awful things like this from happening.  I think we need change our society as a whole.  We need to start by bringing children into homes that have both a mom and dad that love them and support them.  We need to teach our children that they are loved by their families, and even more importantly, they are loved by the God that created them.  We need to teach our children to believe and have faith in God and to understand the Divine Nature that lies within each of them. We need to teach them wrong vs. right and not to do whatever makes them feel good at the moment.  We need to teach our children to be kind to others and to stand up for those that are being bullied.  I think the best way to do that is by being their examples of how to be kind and loving.  They learn how to treat others by watching their parents.  How about not allowing our children to watch violent movies and play violent video games, or better yet, maybe Hollywood should quit making movies that sensationalize killing and violence.  We need to teach them to have values and stand up for what they know to be true and right.  I think there are many other things we can do, but I think most importantly, we need to remember that the change needs to come from within our homes.
I said it after the election, but it's scary to think it's just going to get worse before our Savior can come again to rule on the earth.  All I can do is keep preparing myself and my family for whenever that time will come (and I'm hoping it's sooner than later).
Until then, I will hug Beckett a little tighter. I will enjoy every moment a little more, because I never know when it might be my last time to tuck him into bed, give him a big hug and kiss, and tell him how much I love him.

1 comment:

Lynette Williams said...

Oh Katie - this just made me weep. You are so right in your assessment of what this nation needs right now. Do you have any idea how much joy it brings to Daddy and me to know that we have raised such a wise and righteous daughter? There truly is no greater joy in life than to see your children grow up and show such great love and wisdom. I love you so much...Mom