When I got home from my walk, I received a text from my sister telling me that Flint was on his way. She was 34 weeks pregnant and the placenta had given out. She knew this was going to happen at some point so in a way it was great she made it to 34 weeks before it gave out. She ended up having a c-section because Flint was not tolerating labor well. When the doctor pulled him out, the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. The doc said it was a good thing they got him here when they did because he probably wouldn't have made it to that night if they had waited to induce. No one knew how the missing parts of his brain would effect him. We didn't know if he would be born alive or not so I'm sure it was an emotional moment when my sister heard his weak little cry for the first time. I was just SO grateful that he was born alive and at least got to take one breath. That's one thing I always wished Zach would've been able to do.
When he was born, he weighed 3lbs 1oz. At 2 weeks he was already up to 4 pounds. Once he hits 4.5 pounds he can have the shunt surgery in Dallas. He really is a little miracle. For all he has gone through he is doing amazingly well. He was stable within a few hours after birth and can breath on his own and is learning how to bottle feed now. I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Amarillo and I got to meet Flint. I never knew how strict and structured the NICU is. It makes sense, but I just never thought about it. Right now, Flint can only be held once per day. Obviously, I didn't want to take that precious time away from Brock or Jessica, (not that they would've let me, haha) so I didn't hold him, but I got to touch him and spend an hour with him while Jessica held him. He was so full of smiles when I met him! I loved it. The spirit in that room with Flint was so strong. I couldn't help but think that Zach was there cheering him on as well from Heaven.
Tagg was able to go the next day and meet Flint with Brock. He thought to get a picture with Flint. Wish I would've thought about that! To read more updates on Flint, my sister's blog is, http://blaserfamily1.blogspot.com
We are still waiting to see what lies in store for Flint. He could live a very normal life, or he could have some major challenges. Either way, we love this little boy so much! He is a fighter and is an inspiration to all of us.




2 comments:
What a special miracle he is! I'm so happy that things have been going so well for them. We'll be praying that all goes well with his surgery too. Your sister is such a wonderful example of faith, strength, and courage...as are you. I'm so glad that Flint is doing so well. Loves to all of you.
Thanks for posting this Katie! I'm so glad you've gotten to meet him twice now, and I'm especially grateful that you love him like you do.
Post a Comment