Yesterday,
(Thursday, August 30) I went in for a routine checkup. I was 17 weeks along. Everything was normal, as far as I
knew. The nurse listened for the
heartbeat on the Doppler. She
couldn’t find it and she said there was a lot of static so she went and got a
different Doppler. Still couldn’t
find it. She said she would go get
the ultrasound machine and send the doctor in. I was a little worried, but not
too worried because this same nurse hadn’t been able to find the heartbeat at a
previous appointment. I called
Tagg to let him know what was going on.
The doctor came in and started looking at the ultrasound. He had it facing him so I couldn’t see
it. It seemed like minutes were
passing and he wasn’t saying anything.
Then he looked at Beckett and asked how old he was. I told him 16 months. I knew he was delaying telling me
something so I then asked if everything was okay. I know he didn’t know what to say but he said, “I’m sorry, I
thought it was obvious, but there is no heartbeat.” Not the most eloquent way to say it but, really, is there a
good way to tell a mom her baby’s heart is no longer beating?
I
burst into tears and couldn’t believe this was happening to me…again! I was feeling much less anxious this time around so I was completely blindsided. I called Tagg and he was
devastated. We only have one car so he got a ride to the doctor’s office from our sweet neighbor. The doctor hadn't told me much at that point because he wanted to wait for Tagg to be with me. All I knew was that I was 17 weeks, but
the baby only measured about 15 weeks.
I was also told I would have to deliver this baby vaginally. I was far enough along that a D and C
was not an option as the baby was too big and it wouldn’t be safe for me.
Once
Tagg got to the office we found out a few more details. There is an area between a miscarriage
and a stillbirth that they call a fetal demise. Seriously, isn’t that the worst name ever! The doctor told
me I could go to hospital as soon as I wanted or I could wait a few days if
that felt better to me. I didn’t
want to delay things any longer than I needed to so we headed home and got a
few things together, dropped Beckett off at our friends' house and then
headed to the hospital. The drive
to the hospital was not fun.
My mind kept taking me back to my experience with Zach. While this was very
different, it was also very similar.
We got checked in at the hospital around 12:30pm. The doctor explained what
was going to happen and I felt so experienced already. They did the exact same things to get
me ready to deliver this baby that they did with Zach. The first dose of medicine was at 2:15 and then they would give me another dose every 4 hours until I
delivered the baby.
Tagg and I tried to “relax” as we waited, we watched TV and got a little bit of sleep. At 6:15, more medicine. The dose they had put in at 2:15 had basically done nothing so I figured it was still going to be a while before my body was ready to deliver. It took a full 24 hours with Zach but I was told since this was my 3rd delivery and this baby was much smaller, it probably wouldn’t take that long.
My parents got to the hospital around 6:30. I
was so thankful they were able to rearrange their schedules to come
up and be with us.
We did a lot of talking and it was good to be able to express our
thoughts and feelings to them.
I delivered the baby around 9:30 in a very
traumatizing way. One that I
will never forget, but I will spare you the details on this blog. The
good news is that I was able to dilate and give birth without much pain. They
waited about an hour for the placenta to deliver but it never came so they prepared me for the D and C. I really didn’t want an epidural so
they gave me general anesthesia for the surgery. I remember going into the OR, and the next I think I remember was waking up freezing cold and shaking in my room.
At this point it was about 1:00 in the morning. I was able to sleep great
through the night and we left the hospital around 10:00 this
morning.
The
baby was a little girl. I know this is a very personal decision, but we decided not to name her. With Zach I knew 100% that he was my baby. I knew his spirit
had entered his body. I knew if he
had he been born a day earlier, he would have been a viable baby. This time around, honestly, I’m just
not sure. In my head I was 17
weeks pregnant, but the baby’s heart stopped beating around 15 weeks. That is just so early. Had it been a week or two earlier it
would have been called a miscarriage.
I hate being in this weird gray area where it wasn’t a miscarriage, but
it wasn’t a stillbirth. Tagg and I both felt that this situation was different
from Zach. I had never felt this
baby move and I was not nearly as attached to this baby as I was to Zach. That is why we decided to not name this
little girl or bury her. I believe
that her spirit will be a part of my eternal family. Whether that spirit gets to try again with another body at
some point, or whether she will be standing there waiting for me with Zach, she
is mine.
We
are feeling such a sense of peace despite everything that has happened. We do have our ups and downs, as expected. We don’t know why this happened and we
probably never will. They're
going to do some testing on the baby and the placenta, but they say the chances
of actually finding something are pretty slim. I don’t know what will happen in the future. I know that I’ve now given birth 3
times and I've only had one successful delivery.
Those are not good odds, but as the doctor said, I have had once successful pregnancy so we know it can be done. Even without the answers, we're hopeful for the future, trusting Heavenly Father and His plan for us.
We appreciate all the love and support that has been shown to us at this
difficult time. Thank you for the
phone calls, emails, and texts letting let us know you care
about our family. It's amazing how much having Beckett around helps the situation. Unlike when we lost Zach, I don't have to go home to an empty crib. My arms aren't empty and aching for a baby to hold. I am so grateful
for the Savior who I know from past experience, will heal my broken heart. I have faith and hope in the future,
but for now, I’m holding onto Beckett even tighter and I’m trying to be
grateful for what I have right now in my life.
21 comments:
Oh Katie I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and my eyes are welling up with tears. You are an amazing woman and so strong. Xoxo
Katie,
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your feelings and experience. I am sitting here crying, and feeling so thankful that you shared this, because you have been an answer to my prayers! One day I will tell you more, but for now, just know that you have blessed me more than you know! Love to you and your sweet family!
I'm crying, as I told you I would. You are amazing, Katie. You really are. As is Tagg. Your faith, hope, and incredible strength are such an example to others. I am so thankful you have Beckett and someday he will know just how special he is to be here! Sending my love and prayers your way.
I'm so sorry Katie! My heart is aching for you.
I'm so overcome with emotion and wish I could just give you a big hug, even though I know that won't really change anything. Thinking of you and your sweet family and sending love and prayers your way.
I am so sorry this happened Mag. You and Tagg are amazing and such examples of faith and strength. I so wish we lived closer. We are praying for you so often and love you all more than you know.
You are an absolutely amazing family. You give others strength even in your sad moments. It is an honor and a pleasure to know you. May the Lord comfort and bless you and Tagg. Becky Casper
Oh I am so sorry Katie and Tagg. What a heart breaking thing to go through (again). I love you both and your whole little family. May the Savior heal the hurt you must feel...I know he can and will. Love you.
Our prayers our with you guys!
We are so sorry for your loss. You are such a strong woman, and love how you expressed your feelings. We love y'all & have you in our prayers. Your strength is amazing!
oh Katie I totally am crying for you. I am so sorry for your family and for your broken hearts. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. You and Tagg are so amazing!
Oh my! I am terribly, terribly sorry for your loss! I can't even imagine what you're going though right now. I'm so sorry!! Please know that I'll be thinking of you and your family!
How sweet though, that Zach can have a friend up in Heaven with him!
I look up to you for your faith and courage!
My heart just broke reading this. I don't even know what to say. I wish I could just be there to hug you. We love you guys so much and we are praying for you.
I'm so so sorry! You and Tagg are amazing and my prayers are with you.
I love you guys!! It was great talking to you today Katie, you are a remarkable women and example to many.. But most of all you are a shining light to me and I love you for all you have taught me and helped me learn in life! Remember I'm always here if you need a long distance chat!
We're praying for you. You two are a great example of strength and faith to us all.
I don't even know what to say, but I have to say something as I sit here in a puddle of tears. You and Tagg were those brave ones in heaven who said "I can do it!" when you knew the pair of you would be faced with these challenges. I'm so impressed by your faith. I'm so happy you have family and friends close to help and encourage you. I'm so sorry for your loss.
I was just sick to my stomach reading this. I am sorry you have to go through this again. It doesn't seem fair. Know that we will be thinking about you and praying for you guys!
Your experiences are breaking hearts but your faith is strengthening so many people. Myself included. My mom has read your blog since the day I told her what happened to Zach. She is the one who actually told me what happened to this sweet little one. She is just heartbroken for you, as am I. I just love you Katie. I have thought about you non-stop all day. I love you and we are praying for your sweet little family. I will give you a call this week to see how you are doing. Love you!! Your strength amazes me.
Tagg and Katie! We are so sorry. I understand the comparison. We did it too when we lost another baby (just before our last baby) and it hurt a lot. But I understand that it's not quite the same as with Zach. Even still, I hope that you are continually blessed with comfort.
We love you guys so much! I've been re-reading this post all day. I just still can't believe this happened. It just doesn't make sense. Your faith continually astounds me though. We are praying for you and all of my siblings and parents are praying for you as well. So many people love you and your sweet little family. I hope you know how much we love you guys! I wish we could be there, I wish there was more we could do. Just know we are continually praying for you.
Post a Comment