Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beckett at 2 years old

Beckett is seriously at the funnest age right now.  I wish I could freeze him at this age forever.  It definitely has its challenges, but he is so funny and is learning new things everyday.  Here are his stats at 2 years:
Weight- 34lbs (95%)
Height- 35 in (62%)
Head- 53.3 cm (still off the charts)
The biggest news for Beckett is that he is now potty trained!  I'm so excited about that.  We are still working on poop, but I've heard that can take longer.  As far as pee goes, he's got it down.  I was scared to death to potty train because I've heard horror stories from so many people.  Plus, a lot of people said 2 was too young and that boys are harder than girls, etc.  I just decided to go for it though. I used a book called, "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" by Nathan Azrin for my general guide.  It's a little intense the first day, but it was totally worth it and I will do it with the rest of my kids too.  The first day, we spent most of the morning sitting on the potty.  He also peed all over multiple times.  There was a 13 minutes time lapse where he peed 4 times, all over the floor and me.  By lunch I was ready for a break and a nap.  The afternoon wasn't as bad and by the next morning, he had pretty much caught on.  I was expecting at least 3 days of awfulness, so after one day, I was so excited that he was doing so well.  And seriously, there is nothing cuter than a little boy in underwear.  I love seeing him run around the house with cars on his bum.  He has figured out that he can pretty much control the situation by telling us he needs to go potty so we are still working on that.  The other day, he came to Tagg and said, "Dad, potty" Then he started down the hall yelling "ROADS!" as soon as Tagg got up. (He has a carpet with roads on it in his room that he loves to play on)  We were at Walmart a few days ago and made 5 different trips to the bathroom. Hopefully that novelty will wear off soon.
Beckett is at an age now where he wants to play with other people.  He actually doesn't really play with them, but he plays next to them.  He used to play by himself all the time, but now he always wants Tagg or I to be with him.  It is cute, but sometimes a little challenging if there are other things to do. His favorite thing to do is play on his road carpet.  He will come say, "mommy, roads, please", "daddy, roads, please."
Beckett helps me remember the most important things in life.  If I'm doing something on my phone and he wants to play with me, he will come say "Off" and turn my phone off.  If I'm on the computer, he will shut the lid and say "all done!"
If Beckett is doing something he shouldn't be doing, when you tell him to stop he will stop and then on his own say ,"tank u" (thank you).  I guess I usually say thank you after he stops something. Sometimes I don't even have to say anything to him, like when he jumps on the bed or pushes the rocker into the wall.  He will do it and then say thank you to himself. He's a silly boy.
A few weeks ago we spent over an hour sitting by the coffee table pushing cars back and forth to each other. He was in heaven and so was I.  If I would get up to leave he would say, "no, mommy, cars!"  It is nice to be one of his favorite playmates right now because I'm sure all too soon that will end.
He talks like crazy and can pretty much get his point across.  Anytime he needs to get by or wants Tagg  or I to move, he says meme (excuse me) mommy, meme daddy.  He even says it to Steve, his sock monkey if he is in his way. Some of my favorite words he says are doda (soda), poop (he sounds British when he says it), baby, brudder (brother), pease (please), boot ball (football with a b sound at the beginning), hug and tiss (kiss).
He knows his shapes and some of his colors.
His favorite songs are Twinkle Twinkle and ABC's.  He can help us sing those and we are also working on I am a Child of God.
He loves to say the prayer and is still learning that sometimes other people get a turn to pray as well.  He prays for the sweetest things in his prayers like cars, trucks, Mater, soda, scriptures and anything else that he might happen to see while praying.
He's starting to figure out directions and where we are.  Anytime we are driving and getting close to a place he knows, he will yell it. "Home, church, library, park, Hailyn's house, etc."  It's fun to see him figure out his surroundings.
He loves to count and usually does some combination of 1,2,3 before he does most things, i.e., going down slides, throwing something, running, etc.
Beckett is a firm believer in having things kissed better.  When he falls or hurts himself, he will come over crying or whining to get a kiss.  As soon as you kiss him, he's fine.  Why can't life always work like that?  Life is so much better when someone can just kiss things better.
Beckett likes to tell you when things are funny now.  He will laugh and then say, "funny." It makes me laugh every time.
He loves to give his cars a car wash in the hose and will take the chance to get soaking wet, any time we turn the hose on.
On top of all of that, he still loves cars more than anything and he loves to read books.  Even when he wakes up like this, 
he is still the greatest blessing in our lives.  I thank Heavenly Father every day that I have been given the opportunity to be his mom.  Hopefully his little brother will make it here safely in a few more months and double our joy and laughter!

6 comments:

McKenna said...

LOVE. Oh my goodness how I love this!!! I wish I could see Beckett do and say all these things because I'm pretty sure I would just die at the cuteness of it all. It makes me excited for what is to come a year from now when I have a 2 year old! So cute!!!!

Lynn DeAngelis said...

I laughed through almost this entire thing. I LOVED IT!!

Amanda Petersen said...

Love that cute little two year old. So Darling! Potty training wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be either. Of Course Liam was almost three...good job for gettin' her done early:) By day one, Liam had it down. I too love seing a little boy with trains on his butt. Love to hear all the fun things Beckett is doing. You are a great mom. We're praying for baby "brudder" to get here safe too and can't wait to meet him. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie, you forgot to add that one of his favorite words to say is "Je-ih-ah" for his favorite aunt! Come on! He is darling and we are excited to see him and you this weekend. YAY!!! (Since I don't have a google account, openID, or name/url, I'll just sign my name as Jessica).

amberdat said...

What a great little Beckett post!! I loved learning all about his favorite things and his cute little words. 2 years old is such a fun age. Still innocent and sweet! Someday we need to get our boys together. They would have a ball playing cars. Lincoln is still into them. How is the pregnancy going? How much longer?? You are in my prayers every day. :)

Lynette Williams said...

LOVE!!!!