Monday, July 29, 2013

Waiting on Griffin

I knew from the beginning I would be induced early with Griffin.  I was induced at just over 36 weeks with Beckett after having an amnio to check for lung development.  The original plan was to induce Griffin at 38 weeks. That was the earliest they could induce given my history without doing an amnio.  Well, 36 weeks came around, and I was getting really anxious.  I had never been that far into a pregnancy and I was getting really nervous something might happen.  In addition, I was so ready to be done being pregnant.  I had been pregnant since May of 2012 minus 2 months in between my pregnancies. I was mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted! My doctor said if I wanted to, I could have an amnio at any point if I wanted to be induced earlier.  So, we scheduled the amnio for the 9th with an induction date on the 10th if I passed the amnio.  Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind that his lungs might not be developed since I was having the amnio at almost 37 weeks and I had one with Beckett earlier in my pregnancy.  We made all the necessary arrangements and were planning on having Griffin on the 10th.  Tagg's parents came into town so they could be here for his arrival.  My parents made plans to arrive early on the 10th so they could also be here for the birth.
Well, long story short, I had the amnio and to my complete surprise, his lungs were NOT mature.  I was really not expecting that and I was totally bummed.  I know it only added one extra week on to my pregnancy, but a week seemed like an eternity.  Plus, I felt awful for having Ned and Gena come so early when they would have to wait another week for me to be induced.  My doctor said we could still go ahead with the original plan and induce without another amnio on the 17th.  I left the hospital quite upset, but since there was nothing I could do about it, we tried to do some fun things over the week to help the time pass quickly.  
We went to the splash pad which of course, Beckett loved!
Our dishwasher broke the beginning of July and we finally got  new one after being without one for a few weeks.  How did we ever live without a dishwasher the first few years of our marriage? Tagg put the box to good use and made Beckett a little house to play in.
We spent more time playing outside and playing in Beckett's pool.
We went bowling.  This was the first time Beckett had ever bowled and he loved it.  He is so strong too.  He could pick up a 10 pound ball without any trouble.
We got a few good rain storms and Beckett had fun cleaning his cars in the "car wash."
Beckett spent a lot of time with GG and Dude as well.
I was so grateful to have Ned and Gena here.  I think Beckett sensed a change was coming and he was being such a stinker for a few weeks.  He would go from tantrum to tantrum and the slightest thing would set him off.  He also become obsessed with Tagg and wouldn't do anything unless Tagg helped him.  He also managed to un-potty train himself the week before I had Griffin.  It started with Beckett only wanting to go potty if Tagg helped him and gradually got worse to where he wouldn't even go with Tagg.  I threw in the towel after he peed on me at church. I was at my wits end and it was so nice to have some help with Beckett.  Sometimes being a mom is so hard and frustrating!  I felt like Beckett wanted nothing to do with me.  For the first time I understood when people said they loved their child but at times they didn't like them.  I also felt guilty because I thought I should be enjoying and cherishing the last few days I had with Beckett before Griffin arrived, but all I could do was count down the days until he was here so I could have a new little one that "needed and wanted" me.  I was super nervous how I would handle everything once Griffin was here, but luckily things have settled down a little bit and Beckett is pretty much back to his normal, fun, happy self.

No comments: