Monday, September 17, 2012

Growing Up

I've really been missing the college days recently.  Life was so care free then.  All I really had to worry about was school.  Granted, I had my problems like learning to live with roommates, getting a few bad grades, and being sad that the boys I liked never asked me out, (until Tagg that is)  but really, life was all about me!  I got to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. I didn't have to worry too much about the future as far as finances go.  As long as I had a little bit of money in my bank account, life was good.  I miss going out with my girlfriends on Friday and Saturday nights.  I miss going to football games and being on campus and taking classes and meeting so many fun people. Now, I feel like a grown up with real problems and real responsibility.  I have to think about how I'm going to pay all the doctor bills that will be shortly coming my way for a pregnancy that ended all too soon.  I was telling my mom that I didn't think there was anyway they would make me pay for the delivery of this baby and my hospital stay because it's all so tragic.  Then I thought about all the cancer patients and everyone else that's in the hospital for tragic reasons and have to pay the bills that start piling up.  Seems so unfair, but fair all at the same time.
Since I graduated from college, I've had to go through some of the biggest trials of my life.  I've really had to grow up and I've learned a lot from it all.  I look at these two people and I think, "We had NO idea what we were getting into!"

My sister was telling me about a friend of hers that lost a baby late in pregnancy and she said she looks at pictures from before her loss and hardly recognizes herself because she has changed so much.  Sometimes I feel that same way!  The 20 year old me sure had a lot of fun, but I'm such a different person now at 26.  As much as I miss college, I'm so grateful for where I am in life right now.  I have an amazing husband, a beautiful baby (who's turning into a big boy), and an intensely deep understanding of the atonement and my Heavenly Father and Savior's love for me that I didn't have back in college.  Life is hard, but life is good and I have to keep reminding myself that He didn't say it'd be easy, He said it would be worth it!

Someone else that's growing up is this little guy! He had his first day in Nursery and did great!  He walked right in and started playing.  He didn't even turn around to say bye or see where we were. This is his before picture:
 This is when we got home. Hair all messy, shirt unbuttoned and untucked, and sweaty!
 I have to admit a got a little teary when I saw him after Nursery and he had that yarn necklace around his neck.  He seemed so grown up.  I can't believe he's old enough to go to Nursery.  Actually, he's still supposed to be a few weeks away but since Tagg and I both have callings that keep us busy during the 2nd hour of church they let him go in early.  His first lesson was on Eternal Families.  His necklace said, "My Family Can Be Together Forever."  Quite an appropriate lesson I think for our family!
We went to a place called Jump Mania the other day and Beckett loved it. They had tons of inflatable slides and Beckett was quite the dare devil.  He got bored with the area that was for 3 and under.  Here he is going down one of the big slides all by himself.
I love his face in this picture!  So much excitement.
 Beckett loved this car. He screemed so loud when we took him out!
Beckett sure is keeping life fun and entertaining and I thank Heavenly Father EVERY day for sending him to me!

7 comments:

Lynette Williams(Mom) said...

Love, Love LOVE this post! So fun to see the pictures of Beckett on his first visit to the nursery and absolutely loved the video of him on the slide. My favorite part was him laughing on the way down and then immediately jumping up once he got to the bottom and clapping for himself. He is just at such a fun and funny age right now. Thanks for keeping us posted on all of his "cuteness".

Lynette Williams(Mom) said...

P.S. How about one of those cars for his Christmas present? :)

McKenna said...

I totally agree with you on the missing college thing. It was so fun being able to things like regular fort nights, but at the same time life is so good now as well. I LOVE the pictures of Beckett! I can't wait until Sawyer is old enough to go to fun places like that! Actually, now that I typed it, I can wait... it is going so fast! Miss you guys SO much Mag!!!

amberdat said...

I love all the cute little things that Lincoln and Macie bring home from nursery. They go right on our fridge when we get home from church and stay there all week. They love looking at them throughout the week. Maybe it's because it is the start of the school year, but I have been thinking a lot about the college days as well. They were so great. I have so many fun memories! Beckett is so cut in his little suit! He is looking so big. Miss you! I hope things are going good. It sounds like they are!

Amanda Petersen said...

I love how "untucked" he is after Nursery, Liam is the exact same way. Don't you just wish you could sit and watch him the whole time? So precious. I feel the same away about the "college days." When we were in Utah we went to BYU and I couldn't help but think about how fun and care free those days were. Sometimes when I feel down about my life, I think about how great it would be to back in college....but then I think about my sweet family and all the friends I"ve made since college and I realize that I wouldn't trade any of it. I love the pictures of Beckett. He is getting SO big and he is too cute. I hope we get to see you guys soon. I can't wait to see Liam and Beckett running around together. Love you guys!

The Ringer Family said...

We sure love you guys Katie. Funny how when you look back at your 'young' self you want to warn yourself somehow, prepare yourself somehow for what awaits you but ah the character and faith-building experiences we would miss, then who would we be?

Lynn DeAngelis said...

HA! I loved that video! Beckett is so adorable, I hope I have the chance to meet him someday! I agree, college was so much easier than real life. I still look at pictures of Matt and me from when we were first dating and think "I wonder if we both even thought we would end up married in this picture." And I know in 10 years, we will be wondering crazy things. Being grateful for the now is what life is all about, and I think you and Tagg have got it down! Looking at pictures of Beckett always makes me smile! Thanks for sharing, Katie!