Friday, April 12, 2013

Beckett's 2nd Birthday

Yesterday was such a fun day!  Beckett somewhat "gets it" this year.  He'll say he's 2 today and he definitely understands when you tell him he gets to open a present.  
We started the day by singing Happy Birthday to Beckett and bringing him a smiley face pancake when we got him out of his crib in the morning.  He was not excited about that and gave us the stink eye the whole time until he realized there were treats (marshmallows) on the pancake.  Then he was all smiles and ate those marshmallows in just a few seconds. I thought I got a video of it, but I either didn't hit record or Beckett deleted it.  (I think it was the latter.) I did however get a picture of the awesome pancake.
Beckett ate almost the entire pancake and loved every tasty bite.
After breakfast we opened a few presents. I was trying to get a picture of B with his presents and cake, but he was very distracted by the truck on his cake and he wouldn't look at the camera.
Tagg was so excited to give Beckett a check for his mission fund.  Beckett didn't care, but one day I'm sure he'll be more excited about it. Gotta start saving early.
Beckett spent most of his day playing with cars and trucks.  Pretty much the same as every other day. 
 
We went out for lunch and Beckett got his first ever corn dog.  Exciting stuff. Of course, he played with cars while we waited for our food.
And of course, no lunch is complete without a few spoonfuls of ketchup.  Yummy!
 We went on a walk with Mater.  He loves that toy so much!
We played with bubbles in the backyard.
Beckett got this car from Grammy and Gramps and he was in heaven.  It took a long time to set up, but Beckett was Daddy's little helper through the whole process.
 Finally all set up and ready to go for a ride!
Tagg and I gave Beckett a bubble lawn mower.  Tagg is excited to mow the lawn with his little buddy on Saturday.
We invited the Malouf's over for cake and ice cream.  Hailyn is Beckett's best friend (according to me) and I'm hopeful that arranged marriages will make a come back so these two cuties can get married.
Here is a video of us singing Happy Birthday to Beckett.  I love how he's all excited before we start singing and then he just kinda stares at us with a funny look until we're done.  And no such luck getting him to blow out the candles.  He was too distracted by the truck and the treats.
My sister makes the cutest cakes for her kids and she was kind enough to share her secrets and walk me through how to do it.  I must say I'm pretty proud of how the truck turned out for my first attempt.  Plus Beckett was so excited about it and that made it all worth it.
We ended the night with a reading of Little Blue Truck, Beckett's favorite book.
 I love my little family so much!
We didn't do a party this year.  Let's be honest, Beckett wouldn't have cared and I didn't really care about throwing a huge shindig.  Instead, we preferred to spend the day together as a family and enjoy the fun little moments together making memories.  The past two years have gone by WAY too quickly. I love the age he is at right now.  It comes with it's own challenges, but it is such a fun and exciting phase of life.  He is learning new things every day and I wish I could freeze him at this age forever! 
Happy Birthday Beckett! We love you!

5 comments:

Amanda Petersen said...

What a fun birthday! That cake is darling! You'll have to share your secrets with me:) Can't believe little man is two. I remember so clearly the day he was born. So exciting. Glad you all had a good day! Cute cute boy!

Amanda Petersen said...

Oh and your blog is darling!

Lynn DeAngelis said...

Did you trace that truck on wax or parchment paper and then pipe the design and freeze it and then transfer it to the cake?? That's what I do!! Anyway, nice work, Katie! Looks like B had a great birthday! I love how he loves his trucks... It's so cute and really funny to see him be so enthralled with them. Seriously though, he has the best stink eye I think I have ever seen!

Amber said...

I finally just got caught up on your blog. lots to say. first of all, your pregnant belly is looking really big and that makes me so happy!!!!!!!! when are you due again? you look so stinkin' cute! second. the check for his mission is too priceless. what an awesome dad and good example. third. that cake is soooo cute! i just love it. how did you do it?? i wishwe could come over and have a play date at your house. my kids would have a blast with all of beckett's fun toys! miss you!

Elise said...

I haven't been on blogger recently, and just read all this! What an adorable cake! I love that picture of you three together on the floor. Happy birthday little Beckett!