Tuesday, July 15, 2014

San Antonio and 4th of July

Right after we got home from Utah we turned around and headed to San Antonio. Jessica and her family had been there for a few days so we were able to see them for a little bit before they headed back to Amarillo.  We got season passes to Sea World this year and the boys have loved it. I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding Sea World, but I love it.  To me, it's just like a zoo.  Animals are taken out of their natural habitat and put into one where people can gain a love and appreciation for them.  Obviously I think they need to be well taken care of but I love that my kids can see these amazing and beautiful wild animals.  And also, the trainers know there is risk involved because they are working with WILD animals.  I don't understand why everyone always has to get so upset about others decisions. If you're not comfortable with it fine. But if others are, great.  Okay, sorry for the rant.  It was a super hot and humid day, but the boys had fun and were super happy considering how long we were there.  It was nice to cool off at the splash area.  I think this was Griff's favorite part.
Orca whales are so amazing and beautiful.  I can't wait for the trainers to be able to get back in the water with them at some point.  The show is still fun but mostly they just splash, wave and do a few jumps.  It used to be a breathtaking show with the animals doing so many amazing tricks with the trainers.  The boys still loved it and thought it was fun to see the whales splash.
Beckett's favorite part were the rides and the roller coasters.
Griff was able to get in about a 10 minute nap while Beckett rode a few rides.
We also celebrated the 4th of July while we were in San Antonio.  It's one of my favorite holidays. We started the morning with a pancake breakfast with my parents' ward.  Their ward has changed so much since I graduated from high school.  Now when I visit I only know a handful of people. Here we are all decked out in our red, white, and blue.
Beckett had a lot of fun driving the go cart.  This is the first time he's been big enough to drive it as opposed to just riding in it and he loved it.
We spent the afternoon at the property my parents bought to one day build a house on after they retire.  Even though they don't live there yet, they can still use the amenities so we went swimming, had a picnic and mini birthday party for Griffin while we were there.  
Tagg always requests this fruit pizza for the 4th of July so it's become our family tradition.  This year it turned out super pretty.  Usually my design looks a little scary.
The boys loved swimming.  Beckett's getting so confident and will just paddle around the whole pool by himself.  Griff wants to do the same thing so it's a little tricky trying to keep him above water.  Sometimes he likes his floaty and sometimes he doesn't. 
 I was so excited for Griff to dig into his cake.  I was super disappointed when Beckett turned one because he wanted nothing to do with his birthday cake.  Griff doesn't have the same issues with his hands being dirty so I figured he'd dive right in.  He definitely enjoyed playing with the cake but he didn't eat much of it.  At least it was more exciting this time.  Hopefully that was just a warm up for his real birthday on Thursday and he'll dig right in again.
After swimming all afternoon we went home and relaxed.  We watched the Sandlot and did some fireworks once it got dark. I thought Beckett was going to be nervous about the fireworks but he loved them.  He was even excited to do the sparklers. 
It was a great day and I'm glad we were able to spend it with family.   I am so thankful for this amazing country we live and the freedoms that we have.  It's scary to think about where our country is headed but I'm grateful for so many who have protected and served this great nation.

No comments: