Monday, July 14, 2014

Utah

We had such a great time in Utah.  We left Friday, June 13th and spent the night in Amarillo.  Then we made the rest of the drive on Saturday.  It was a LONG day in the car, but overall the boys did pretty good.  Griff's at a tricky age where he gets bored but he can't really entertain himself and he doesn't watch shows yet so Tagg and I spent a lot of time wedged in the back seat between the two car seats to help keep him happy.  Griff also doesn't sleep well in the car anymore.  He would do a 20-30 minute stretch maybe once or twice if we were lucky.  I do love driving though.  You make so many fun memories and one day I'm sure it will be easier when the kids are older.  Beckett apparently had trouble falling asleep too because he put his blanket over his head on multiple occasions to help him fall asleep.  Sensory deprivation at its finest. 
Back seat fun with the boys.
Once we finally made it to Derek and Julie's house, we were so happy to be out of the car.  When we were pulling into their drive way I told Beckett I was excited to get out of the car because my bum hurt.  He said, "You're bum hurts because you have to poop?" Totally made me laugh.  He's been having trouble going number 2 because it hurts him to "push really hard." Oh the troubles of a 3 year old.
We were able to be in Utah for a small family reunion on Father's Day.  It was one of the most joyous and spiritual days of my life which is just too personal for a blog but I'm so grateful we were able to spend the day together.  Let me just say that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is without a doubt the true church of God here on the earth. I'm so thankful I belong to a church that has the priesthood power and that we have the knowledge we have of repentance and the atonement.  I'm thankful for my eternal family and that because of the sealing power, I can live with my family forever if we all live worthy. I was so excited I was able to spend Father's Day with my dad as well. I haven't spent Father's Day with him since my first year of college.  I'm lucky to have such an amazing dad that loves me unconditionally and is a fantastic example of being Christlike and righteous.
I'm also lucky to have such an amazing husband who is the best daddy our kiddos could have.  No matter how busy he is, he always takes time to play with the boys and do special and fun things with them.  I'm pretty sure they both love him more than they love me.  That breaks my heart, but also makes me so happy. 
Griff's at a hard age for church.  He just wants to be loud and play so sitting on my lap for 3 hours doesn't go over very well.  I can usually distract him for about 10 minutes by putting his sunglasses on him. 
We were back and forth on this trip so much so these pictures aren't necessarily in order, but here's some of the fun we had in Layton with Derek and Julie's family. 
We went to a few different parks.
He fed the ducks and seagulls.
We played on the trampoline.
And the boys did a lot of playing with their cousins. Beckett especially had fun having so many different playmates.  Even though Derek's kids are a little older than my boys, they are always so sweet to them and keep them entertained.  
I love this group of kids.  I can't believe how big they are all getting.  And I love how Roman is trying to turn Griff's head to look at the camera.
I was lucky enough to be able to meet up with Mag and Sawyer one afternoon. Our original plan was to meet up at Temple Square but it was raining that day so we decided to meet at the Church History museum instead.  I was pretty bummed it was raining, but the rain ended up being a tender mercy from Heavenly Father.  After I parked, I got Griffin out of the car.  Beckett had fallen asleep on the drive and I knew it would take me a minute to wake him up so I put Griffin in the front passenger seat while I got Beckett out of the car.  I set my bag down, my keys and phone, and Griffin.  I closed the door and then got Beckett out of the backseat.  I then closed his door and went to get Griff out of the front seat.  My heart sank.  The door was locked.  ALL the doors were locked.  I had no idea what to do.  My phone was in the car, my baby was in the car and I just stood outside totally helpless.  It took me a minute to get it together and to be able to think clearly. I ran over to 2 men that were paying to park and started crying and told them what happened.  One of them called 911 for me and they both waited around for a while until the police came.  It was still raining and it was pretty chilly too.  A lady offered to let Beckett stay in her car.  I wasn't sure about it but she was parked 2 spots up from my car and the only other option was to let him get cold and wet.  While I was getting Beckett situated in the lady's car, Griffin fell off the front seat.  He was crying but as soon as he saw me at the window he was okay.  I seriously felt like the worst mom ever.  He climbed up on the seat again and was banging on the window.  I will never forget those little hands and face pressed against the window.  I felt SO helpless.  I was hoping Griffin would lean on the lock and unlock the door but no such luck.  He picked up my keys and started playing with them. I kept telling him to push all the buttons but he didn't. The police finally showed up and started working on getting the car unlocked.  The officer said it usually takes him about 1 minute to get into a car.  Well 1 minute came and went and the door was still locked.  He worked on the driver's window for about 5 minutes and had no luck.  He moved to the back window and tried to get that unlocked.  All of a sudden I realized the driver side door was unlocked. I ran over and opened the door and gave Griff the biggest squeeze ever.  Total relief! The police officer said it must have been Griff that unlocked it with the keys because it wasn't him.  I don't know how it happened, but I was so thankful that it wasn't super hot that day and that so many people were kind enough to help me out.  The whole ordeal lasted about 15-20 minutes but it felt like 3 hours. Mother of the year right here! Good news- our car is hard to break into.  Bad news- our car is hard to break into when you lock your child inside. After I got my emotions in check and calmed down a bit, I was able to have a fun afternoon with Mag. The boys had fun playing together too.
And this is the best picture we got of the whole group. I'm so excited Mag will be having another boy in a few more months.  Can't wait to get little Louie here safe and sound.
The rest of our Utah trip is coming up next.

No comments: